This blog is a place to air your views on art and politics.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Mind and Body

I spent some time with a Bulgarian friend of mine here in Paris and we got into a disscussion about the separation of the entelectual and the emotional type of artist and artwork. For me painting comes from a place of intuition and the gut and it is only when the mind gets in the way that it can become tright or cleché. I find that my most profound work is created when my mind is given some simple task to keep it busy while my body takes care of feeling what needs to be said. When my mind trys to define it I tend to become mired in what people might think. Rossen is of a similar feeling on the matter yet he thinks that this is a necessary struggle between the rational and the irrational. That the mind body seperation is ever present in painting and art and music for that matter. "Hell it is a struggle within all facets of the human condition".
Let me know how you see and are affected by this struggle.
Thank you

3 Comments:

Blogger ilya said...

it feels like you're both saying the same thing -- the duality between rational and irrational, the conscious and subconscious, the mind and the body. I definitely feel the struggle; for me it is often the struggle of suppressing the analytical or better to say cognitive aspect of my mind -- if one can reach the state of total control by the subconscious, for lack of a better word, one can focus on the essence off what one is trying to communicate. It also usually turns out that the result is much better!

It is much more difficult to do this in science, though I think it is equally important. we are taught to think about science in a logical and analytical way and yet, most of the exciting discoveries in science come about when someone looks at the problem from a totally different perspective -- but that is very much an art.

in piano, I like to think of it as a direct connection between my brain and my fingers, bypassing the "thinking" part of my mind -- the same body versus mind analogy.
cheers

4:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The piano is an interesting reference, particularly if you've ever seen Keith Jarret play it. After a while I noticed that although Keith moves around a lot, the piano never changes. It's always the artist that changes. I think that life and (ergo) art are about change of the individual(s) , not the medium, and when your mind is not fixed on one things, you can change - so in a way, the canvas is painting you!

9:59 AM

 
Blogger kpnil said...

I often have the feeling that I am being the one manipulated when I work on a canvas instead of the other way round. This is the state of mind that I am trying to achieve because I feel my work stands less of a chance of being or looking forced. Hey Monty, check out some of Ilya's piano compositions on his sight if you get a chance http://www.unfitness.org/. He did not have a good mic to record but they come through quite nice.

10:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home